In this part of the adventure, the characters follow up on existing leads and lines of inquiry. They can't learn much more in Phandalin, so they need to set out into the forests and hills surrounding the town to uncover the larger plots they are caught up in. The characters are not required to visit all the locations in this section. Depending on which NPCs the characters met and which quests or clues they picked up, some or all the following information might be known to them:
- Sister Garaele wants the characters to seek out the banshee Agatha in the ruined town of Conybery and ask her about Bowgentle's spellbook.
- Daran Edermath wants the characters to find out who is lurking near the ruins at Old Owl Well.
- Qelline Alderleaf has suggested that the characters go to the ruined town of Thundertree and consult with the druid Reidoth, who might know the whereabouts of Cragmaw Castle, Wave Echo Cave, or both.
- Townmaster Harbin Wester wants the characters to seek out an ore encampment near Wyvern Tor and chase the ores away from the area.
- Sildar Hallwinter wants the characters to find Cragmaw Castle, search for Gundren Rockseeker, rescue the dwarf, and retrieve his map.
Each of these possible quests has its own section in this part of the adventure. The characters can remain in Phandalin long enough to rest up and purchase supplies. When they're done, have them pick a storyline to investigate, then set out for the appropriate destination.
The party will travel along the Triboar Trail to reach any of these locations.